Wednesday, June 18, 2003

Spiritual Hypocrites and Jars of Clay

What happens when you admire the teaching of a teacher but the actions of their personal life don't seem to mesh with it? Plainly put, how do you deal with a spiritual hypocrite?
If truth's reality depended upon the character of the messenger we would all be very confused. There is tremendous comfort in knowing that the cure for the sickness of sin retains its potency regardless of the filthy hands that deliver it to me. Their decision to (or not to) reflect what they teach has no effect upon my acceptance of that truth unless my eyes are focused on man rather than God. If I look to man's character to validate the truth he proclaims I set myself to err. For men of character can also proclaim a lie. With sincerity and passion, they can deliver a deception. So truth that is of God must be spiritually discerned. Ultimately since we have this treasure in earthen vessels, dig out the truth and the treasure and let God deal with the vessel. That's spiritual discernment. Open the eyes of my heart, Lord.

No comments: