Saturday, June 28, 2003

Ok here's something worthwhile, unlike my writing from yesterday which was about as desperate as a Michael Bolton impersonator looking for work. The following started the tear ducts working after a long dry spell the first time I heard it (about 7 years ago). I was really beginning to lose faith in the power of words to communicate creatively. Oddly enough I was working in a Christian bookstore at the time.
Poetry by a guy named Bill Malonee. A portion of a piece called 'Parting Shot'.

There's a question forming out here in the dark and a heavy air all around my heart
Now laden with consequence, chain link fence, and shot though with all manner of lies
I've been trapped in and caught
And the world like a tempist in your ears doth roar
And the flesh wants to dress up and play the whore
And the devil wants to cast all manner of doubt on the real lover with the key dying to let you out
Of the bars that you fashioned with your stolen clout
When the great divorce happens hide me in your song
Though I don't deserve it and I don't belong
Well I may be confused but I'll play my hunch,
Did it feel like a kiss or a counterpunch?

No comments: