Friday, July 09, 2010

Surfing the Slippery Slope

The following is an exchange that happened on Facebook that displays what religion does to the mind and heart. Names (other than mine) have been abbreviated. It began with my having of a friend of mine who happens to be a woman on a radio show I was hosting talking about some of the things going on in her ministry. Another friend (JB) decided to call her down and thus it began.

<> JB: Are you gonna ask her why she teaches and preaches when the Bible clears states women should not teach or have authority of men? The very WORD of God says men are to teach and preach. 1 Timothy 2:12-14

(Here there was a dozen or so exchanges with friends that I've removed, that escalated the point to where I finally climbed on this train wreck.)

<> William Vanderbush ‎@JB: According to the Apostle Paul, if you're still living in a kingdom where genitals determine Spiritual qualification, you're not "in Christ".

Galatians 3:28. There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free man, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

Are the writers of New Testament letters to the church to be heeded to the letter, in effect turning their writings into another law? They didn't even regard each other in this manner and it matters to know it. In Galatians 2:11, Paul (writer of Scripture) opposes Peter (Apostle and writer of Scripture) "to his face". If I were talking to Paul about this issue of women in ministry today, I would do the same with no dishonor or regret. And you can quote me on that. In case you believe the Apostle Paul to be irrefutable, (as Miles points out above) he himself gives commands that did not come from God and he knows it. 1 Cor 7:25 for example. In case you believe that Paul was without recorded error, in Acts 23:3 the apostle Paul called the High Priest a whited wall and then immediately repented, not realizing who he was talking to, he says we are not to say evil things about our leaders.

In I Cor. 11, Paul grants women the freedom to speak or pray in worship as long as she wears proper headgear. However, in I Cor. 14:34-36, Paul states that women should be silent in church, which contradicts the teaching that women may pray and speak (I Cor. 11:5). Which is it? Is Paul confused?

I'm not saying that the New Testament isn't inspired by the Holy Spirit. It most certainly is, but to take the writer of Galatians who argues so vehemently against being under the law, and turn his writings into another letter that kills apart from the Spirit, is about the most dishonoring thing one could do to this Apostle of God who commanded us all to walk in the Spirit.

Don't want to pick a fight with you, bro, but you've jumped on my wall enough to warrant some response. I feel though that our views are not going to be complimentary. I pulled my head out of the rear of religion some time ago and I must say, both the view and the smell have improved. You, on the other hand, seemed to have crawled all the way in.

One of these days, when you are in need of grace, and the rest of those around you who are trying to beautify the rectum of religiosity have none to freely give, you still have my number, and my friendship.

<> JB: Psalm 19:7 The law of the Lord is perfect,
reviving the soul;
the testimony of the Lord is sure,
making wise the simple;
8 the precepts of the Lord are right,
rejoicing the heart;
the commandment of the Lord is pure,
enlightening the eyes;
9 the fear of the Lord is clean,
enduring forever;
the rules of the Lord are true,
and righteous altogether.

2 Timothy 3:16 and 17 says: "16 All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work."

Huh, whom do I believe, men and women who don't believe the Bible is perfect, or my God who is perfect and able to communicate exactly everything I need for life and godliness. I think I am gonna go with my Sovereign Lord, He has not lied to me yet.

<> William Vanderbush ‎@JB: Amen to everything you just wrote there. See, we do agree.

<> JB: William: James 1:27

It makes me angry when I see the Word of God so violently handled by men and women with absolutely no fear of God and what He teaches. James 3:1, you will be judged with greater strictness and that makes me fear for you and what you teach and believe. Hebrews 10:31 It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God. William, I don't know who died and gave you the authority to twist Scripture and just pick and choose what is inspired and what is not.
2 Peter 3:15-16 "Paul also wrote to you according to the wisdom given him, 16 as he does in all his letters when he speaks in them of these matters. There are some things in them that are hard to understand, which the ignorant and unstable twist to their own destruction, as they do the other Scriptures."

<> William Vanderbush And to think, I used to make you waffles. Still love you, JB. You're just one Divine encounter away from good theology.

<> JB: No, William we don't agree! With the words you have spoken tonight, you have proven what I had already feared, that you have stepped outside of orthodox Christianity, and are rapidly heading down the slippery slope toward heresy and corruption.

<> William Vanderbush: Last one, JB. You dismiss me with contextual interpretation without addressing a single specific point. Instead you call me a heretic without pointing out one heresy. Fortunately for me we don't live in the middle ages and you aren't a bishop. I'd be a human BBQ and you would be holding the torch.

While you're arguing your theology exalting physical gender above Spiritual identity, Patricia is opening a shelter in Thailand to minister to children enslaved by the sex trade. Children who are being sold while we argue. You want to put her in her place as a servant to religion. I say her place is as a friend of God and she can do whatever He calls her to do. When you are doing the work of the ministry you have little time to argue over who is and is not qualified to do it. Jesus was addressing you in John 5:39-40, those so blinded by the letter that they could not see the Word. Repent, open your eyes, and be free.

----------------------

And that, my friends, is why Jesus (the Prince of Peace) got angry with the religious. I took this exchange to JB's wall and when he couldn't deal with it he defriended me and ended the exchange. This young man was once a good friend and neighbor and we have a long history and had many good conversations in the past. He began to run, however, with a group of religious people who live in constant fear of worldly contamination and who have adopted and entirely unteachable dogma regarding the gifts and workings if the Holy Spirit. Basically that the gifts have ceased and there us no longer prophecy, healing, or a need for the church to live in the supernatural power of God.

It's a good study into the mind of a sphere of the faith that is living by principle above Presence. I hoped I would (through some radical statements and clever potty humor jabs) get under the skin of his cerebral cortex just enough to provoke an exchange that would be more than just blind anger expressed in an arial font. However it was not to be. By now he ought to have known (by basic relationship) enough to know of my immense love and respect and honor for the inerrancy of Scripture. If there was love present and he genuinely believed I was calling the Word imperfect, I've no doubt he would have called me and scheduled a face to face meeting which I gladly would have welcomed.

Whereas FB exchanges are mostly for entertainment value, this he took seriously enough to sever a relationship over with no heartfelt personal outreach to correct my thinking and set me on the right path. So now I'm lost and he can wash his hands of me which is what religion does. I'll call him later today so he can hear my voice and tell him I love him but it will be his love that determines whether or not he wants to have relationship with someone with whom he doesn't agree theologically. Religion doesn't allow for that, it requires separation from those with whom you disagree and relationship with the sinner only for the purpose of conversion. JB: is a fine young man and I believe he'll fall into the bliss filled grace of Christ in time. Always expect the best and look for the treasure. That's what Love requires.

1 comment:

Jessie said...

Thanks for this post! I've been going round and round in my head with a religion vs Galatians type of argument and I feel like you just gave me the tools to break through into the middle of it.