Saturday, July 10, 2010

"I've never been anywhere, but I watch the Travel Channel."

Everyone is right about some things and wrong about others. You don't need to know which is which, you only need to know that it's true. Those who refuse to know this are the insane who won't be taught. This statement may be right, or not. And that, I'm certain, is true.

This is an expansion on an early morning thought I was chewing on regarding the importance of staying teachable. It sounds good in theory but it's humbling in reality because it requires me to admit that I don't know everything that's right and there are things I do know that may be wrong. My willingness to acknowledge that fact and allow the Spirit of Truth to tweak and shape my understanding is what positions me to grow.

Have you ever met people who have never been anywhere but are simply content to watch the travel channel? The hunger for knowledge must draw us into experience or there will be no revelation. Gaining knowledge of the Bible while rejecting a deep personal encounter with Jesus Christ is a dangerous waste of time. It is a fools leap into the abyss of religion.

You're likely to find that 99% of the people in church will approve of radical street evangelism. That's also probably the same percentage of people who will not be going with you. When you are provoked to turn your faith into action, you put a demand upon a Word from God that causes it to manifest as experience. It is from there that you now have testimony. And we all know what a big deal that is.

No comments: