Thursday, July 14, 2005

Life is a blind man riding on a rollercoaster and this week I'm wishing the loops would stop. This coming from a guy who likes, no, loves spectacular, spontaneous change. To say that life can be unpredictable is like saying that a nuclear bomb makes a loud noise. Something happened to a friend of mine this week that I still can't comprehend. I'll sure have some thoughts to share about all of this later but for now I would like to draw your attention to the need for each of us to maintain a healthy community. The Bible calls this church. We all function within the context of a community, which in turn functions within a larger society, nation, and world. Our family's well-being is bound up with the community's well-being, and likewise its well-being is inseparable from the peace and prosperity of the society, the nation, and ultimately, the world. Not that negative outward circumstances dictate inward destruction. Rather we are strengthened by the power of Jesus Christ when adversity exposes our weaknesses so spiritual victory is possible even in physical destruction. Practically put, martyrs could praise God for his goodness while standing in the flames or facing the lions teeth. Biblical precepts undergird community by teaching the virtues of cooperation, brotherhood, and justice. These create the spirit of unity by which community can thrive and prosper. I know this is boring to read but bear with me. What happens when community breaks down? The breakdown of community is isolation disguised as quiet privacy. You discover this to be true when one among you takes an action you would have never thought possible. I don't advocate an intervention and invasion of privacy. On the contrary I do advocate a healthy measure of transparency that makes us not only vulnerable to some hurt, but also some healing. Who knows you? There are about 5 people in my life who know as much of me as there is to know. The rest think they know. I met a famous person once who I had observed in movies as many different characters. In speaking with them I became aware of a disturbing reality. I didn't know this person. I knew about them but didn't know them. How much can we know about each other? Only as much as you allw to be known. So tonight I leave you with this question. Who knows you?

No comments: