Saturday, July 16, 2005

When I want to get some encouragement, I go to the fire bowl café. Depending on what you order, it could be called the fire bowel café, but that’s beside the point. Usually there’s this guy who goes around to the tables offering ice cream. No kidding. He’s not from the fire bowl either. No, he’s coming in with all the authority of a federal agent carrying a clipboard. He’s vamping the Asian cuisine coming from Maggie Moos down the way. I’m not sure if they got permission to pull this off but it took me back to the day when I was filling up waffle cones at a TCBY (short stint). The manager said, “Hey go take some samples to the people at the sub shop next door. I responded with a resounding ‘heck no’. I thought of all the reasons why it was a lousy idea. It’s an invasion of their territory. I mean how would we feel if they came in with pastrami on toothpicks? If those folks wanted fat free frozen yogurt they wouldn’t have gone to a place where everything is either on wheat or white. On top of all this, it’s embarrassing. Just let me stick with what I signed on for. Standing behind this counter and waiting for people to come to me. Doing my time and collecting my paycheck along the way.
But not this kid. He came by, not once, but twice during my lo mien dinner. First offering chocolate/peanut butter, and second offering cinnamon/vanilla. Not being one to turn down a freebie from Maggie, I obliged to both. It’s amazing how well chocolate/peanut butter goes with Lo mien. I was so impressed with the guts and the product, I ducked into Maggie’s and cooled the fire bowel with some of what the kid was dishing up. I would have probably never done it otherwise. The point is, Jesus said go ye, and we said ‘heck no’ cause if they wanted what we got they would be here getting it. I mean it’s an invasion of territory. How would we feel if the other business came in here offering temptation on a toothpick? On top of that, it’s embarrassing. Let me just stick with what I signed on for. To get to heaven and be a decent person with some cool blessings from God along the way. Let me tell you that if you have the guts to live your faith before a lost world, they may respond to your message of hope the same way I responded to Maggie's moo. They may respond because they’re impressed with the guts that you have in representing Jesus Christ, and in this world, a solid foundation is worth more than gold. Second they may respond because, if presented well, they’ll taste and see that the Lord is good. Since it’s the kindness of God that leads us to repentance, why don’t you give that a chance to work with those you meet today?
By the way, thanks for lunch Dale.

No comments: