Thursday, March 06, 2008

There's this scene in an old episode of the Cosby Show where Bill Cosby's character (who is a doctor on the show) gets a call from one of his daughters friends who asks Bill if she can speak to the daughter. Bill says no. Then she asks if he can give the daughter a message. Bill says in this befuddled low and slow tone, "I graduated...(pause)...from medical school. I...(pause)...am a doctor." It's just a man who finds himself in a situation where, after blinking a couple of times, he mentally steps out of it to have a personal moment of conversation to see whether or not he ought to expect more out of life, or just resign to his fate that what is at hand is the lot in which he may as well pitch a tent and start a campfire cause, buddy, you're gonna be here awhile. I was working with my son the other day dumping garbage at a landfill. The hot afternoon wind whipped up a cloud of Texas limestone dust which combined with your already present sweat can turn you into what amounts to a statue bearing a strong resemblance to Michael Jackson. A garbage truck backed up a mere 20 feet from where we were standing and proceeded to dump a full load on the ground, creating all of the sudden a rather effervescent windbreak. Surrounded by diapers, unimaginable liquids, rotting food, and fighting the gag reflex Britain and I looked at each other and I said, "I was an underwater videographer in Maui." We laughed and laughed. Unhooking my parent's trailer the other day, we had a mishap with the sewage line. I'll spare the details but one look at Britain and we both started laughing again. Inside jokes can be a treasure that can take your mind off the fact that whatever just happened, I'll probably need a tetanus shot. We've had some nice things happen being back in Austin, but every day I find a half dozen times where I find it necessary to blink a couple of times, mentally step out of the moment, and have a personal conversation. "I was an underwater videographer in Maui." That was a good year. A really good year.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And you were a very good underwater videographer too! Having grown up in Oregon, the rain couldn't stop you from doing what you had to do, but it could make it more challenging. I adopted the expression "at least it's not raining" after seeing the scene in Mel Brooks', "Young Frankenstein" in which Dr. Frankensein and Igor are digging up a grave. Dr. Frankenstein complains about the nature of the work. Igor comments that it could be worse; it could be raining! Of course the rain immediately begins to pour down. So, whenever I faced a job I didn't like or a difficult challenge, I would say to myself, "at least it isn't raining!" But now I am going to change that phrase a little bit. At our Sunrise Easter service during worship, I thought about Jesus retrieving the keys of Hades from Satan. I pictured that He didn't show up to find Satan had fled leaving the keys on the hook by the door. Rather he invaded hell with His presence, leaving Satan no choice but to be flat out, face down, "undone" so to speak in the presence of the Lord with the keys out before Jesus. I don't know if there is any scriptural basis for this, but I was encourage by the picture of our mighty Savior with total destruction of Satan's rule over those that have chosen Jesus as savior. So now, I am going to say when I am challenged, "my Savior is reigning"