Sunday, August 26, 2007


I took my brother in law, Steve, to attend a men's retreat out in Hana this weekend. That's a 37 mile journey with 617 switchbacks that takes roughly two hours to drive. Do the math. You go there and back on the same day you have changed direction (north, south, north, south) on tight hairpin turns 1234 times. Hana is like Hawaii before it became a state with couple thousand people living in a seaside village who don't get alot of tourists or traffic. The majority of the town is employed by the local hotel (very nice turn of the century hotel) or else they fish and sell fruit. There's not much else to do there except just be in paradise which is not bad in itself. The retreat was very good with churches from all over the state in attendance. Very cool campsites with thatched roof hale's (huts) and outdoor showers in the midst of palm trees. The meeting was held at the very edge of lava cliffs that dropped about 20 feet down straight to the clear blue ocean. The waves pounding them would send spray up into the air making for a backdrop that was unlike anything I've ever seen for a worship service. The worship leader got up and sang "Every Move I Make" which has a line in it about "waves of mercy, waves of grace..." I just laughed at the sight of these waves pounding the rocks and splashing into the air right behind him as he sang. It reminded me of a dream I had years ago of worshipping God at the edge of the ocean and singing that very song. Apparently God hadn't forgotten that dream. Here's good news for you today. God remembers the dreams that you have forgotten. When I was little, I dreamt of being a diver. My folks bought me an action figure set with a little guy who had a scuba tank and a boat. I would set the boat on the edge of a chair and everything under the seat of the chair was the mysterious underwater world. If ever there was a diver on tv or a Mutual of Omaha special with Jacques Cousteau I was rivited. It was my superbowl. For a long time I completely forgot about that. When I started this job with the dive boat, I was thrilled. But never expected what would happen to me the first time I hooked up the regulator, strapped on the bc vest, adjusted my gear, and jumped off the boat into the ocean. I took a breath underwater and suddenly I was 10 years old all over again. I mean the same exact feeling, emotion, dream, everything. It was quite a moment. While remembering is the key to saying encouraged and strengthened, He will begin to fulfill your dreams that you have left behind, forgotten in yesterday and in doing so will bring you to a place of supernatural power for today and expectation for tomorrow. I wonder what other dreams I've forgotten that God remembers? It's like being a kid on Christmas morning.

No comments: