Monday, March 06, 2006

There are writers who think for you, and writers who provoke you to think. I pray that in this post, I may be the latter. What doesn't God know? Is there anything that is beyond His understanding? Is there any detail upon which mankind may illuminate Him? Can we possibly say anything that would clear up some confusion He might have? I say this to draw you to ponder. Have you ever noticed how many questions God asks in the Scriptures? Now there's some who may say that all that is simply rhetorical communication. That God asks questions to get us to think about the answer and experience the joy of discovery, after all, that's what a good teacher does. I believe, in some cases, that's true. Like the list of questions to Job to which Job replies, "I place my hand on my mouth." That was God asking a man, "Do you know who you're messing with?" After all, when it comes to size, proportion, and relative greatness, we're pretty stupid.

But God does ask some genuine questions engaging mankind in a conversation in which information is exchanged in a give and take manner. After all that's the essence of relationship, and isn't relationship what God desires? Nobody is drawn, for long, to someone who knows everything. Matter of fact, we hate a know it all, for their knowledge exposes our ignorance and makes the whole idea of relationship with such a person as interesting as curling up with an encyclopedia Britannica. See questions seem to draw us into relationship because they humbly expose a person's intellectual limitation. The question boosts your ego for it's another person challenging you to expand their mental boundaries to include more information than they previously had been able to contain. So do we have the chance to expand God's mind? Or are his questions meant to expand ours?

Here's some examples in which God question sounds less rhetorical and seems to sincerely beg an answer. Take one of the first questions in the Bible. He asks Adam, "Where are you?" Why? A little later on in Gen. 3 He asks, "Who told you that you were naked?" Why? Move on a ways and He asks, "Have you eaten of the tree I told you not to eat from?" Again, why? There's one more question in this conversation that is the most disturbing of all? "What is this you have done?" I think, rather than offer more thoughts, this is setup enough. Meditate on this today and if you would like to share some insights, I would appreciate the interaction. While we're at it, consider Jesus' question to Peter. "Do you love me?" Whenever I encounter a question asked by the Divine in the Scriptures, it's a source of some discomfort, for somewhere in the depth of my soul, I can feel it directed at me. Look for some other questions, and place yourself in the position of the person to whom the question is directed. How would you answer?

No comments: