Wednesday, August 25, 2004

What two words in my native tongue can incite such unbridled laughter to the fortunate few who have tasted of the nectar of nonsense? Napoleon Dynamite. Rarely have I seen the same movie twice in three days and laughed harder the second time. Clean, (we took our seven and ten year old) and incredibly raunch free, it's simply the most enjoyable film I've seen all year. I was surrounded, in the theater, by a crowd of people who had seen this thing enough times to be able to quote it and still they were struck with epileptic fits of giddiness. In the wacky vein of the Coens or Waters, Nap D was shot in 22 days for a budget of less than a million and there is nere a computer effect in sight, even in the opening credits. Raw, refreshing, and unrelenting in an early 80's onslaught of geek fashion, music, and hilarious frustration. You know how there are nine or ten good lines in a decent comedy that you quote amonst friends for years to come? In this movie there are no less than 50 of those kind of lines. But you can't quote them for people who haven't seen the film because by themselves, from anyone elses mouth, they just aren't that funny. "Gosh!" "Whatever I want to do!" "Are you gonna eat your tots?" "Are you drinking 1 percent because you think you're fat?" "I worked for three hours on the shading of your upper lip." "The defect in this one is bleach. Yesssss." "I can't fit my nunchucks in my locker." "Vote for Pedro." "...our underwater ally." "That one looks like a medieval warrior." "You got like three feet of air that time." "Do the chickens have large talons?" "I will build a cake for her." "Sweet!!!" "It tastes like this cow got into an onion patch. Yessssss." "My lips hurt really bad." "Vote for me and all of your wildest dreams will come true." "It's a Liger." "Pedro offers you his protection." "Lucky!"
And the dancing, oh the dancing.

No comments: