Wednesday, August 18, 2004

The age of 12-15 is a Minnesota thunderstorm, the thought of which makes me want to run for cover. But if I had it to live over again I would but I don't think I would change much. Those were good times. In Lake Benton I had a measure of freedom that I can't give to my own children in this city we live in. And that's a sad state of affairs. For it's in the ability to go wrong that you find whether or not you posess the fortitude to go right. For me that was a good thing because I had some good training by a couple of great parents. I wonder if, in the same situations, would my own children choose wisely? Anyhow, I had a great friend by the name of Zoe Peterson. A firecracker of a girl with a hard right hook to go with her sensitive feminine self. She lived on the edge of town which meant that she had things us city kids didn't have. Horses, a pet racoon, and a fourwheeler. Ahhhh the fourwheeler. It came out of the box clean and was never that way again. The sign (no fourwheelers) that's posted in the park across the street is there today as a memorial to our destructive driving skills. We had some spectacular mishaps and are fortunate to be intact today. Riding back to the Peterson house one day covered in mud from head to toe and too tired to laugh, I had a realization. That danger and fun and risk and pleasure and terror and ecstasy are hard to separate. Often you find one surgically connected to the other. The older I get the more I realize that I'm avoiding the risks, the terror, the danger, and I think this is wisdom. At least common sense tells me to be 'safe'. So we do one of two things. We learn to enjoy those things that made adults seem so boring when we were kids, like sitting around the living room to visit. Or talking to the cat. Or doing crossword puzzles. Or reading the obituary page. Or planting a garden. Or sitting on the toilet with a readers digest til your thighs go numb. Engage in these things and you're likely to never know the sting of having stitches removed again. Unless your cat is like mine and doesn't enjoy casual conversation...
I think, as with most things, that balance is the key. Like Zoe's hard right hook balancing out her sensitive side, we need balanced growth. Don't grow elderly in the process of growing old. Remember the thunderstorm of youth and, instead of running for cover, dance in the rain. At least it'll help your circulation.

1 comment:

Traci Vanderbush said...

Dang!! Brilliant writing.