Thursday, June 10, 2004

Up to now I've been accustomed to people telling me that I'm waaay too young to be doing whatever it is that I'm doing. I've always been on the younger side of things in a world filled with the 'older and wiser'. Fine by me. The last thing I want to be perceived as is a 30 something know-it-all whippersnapper who has no respect for his elders. So the elders eld and the youth do their thing and then there's my new world. A crack in the chasm of the progression of time from birth to death. The strange period of time when you're still too young to be successful and too old to be cool. I've got a leg over the fence and I must tell you that sitting here is not comfortable. What makes me feel old? Hearing Van Halen on the classic rock station. Having a teenager say "Better put some sunscreen on that thinning spot on the back of your head." I have come to like eating at Luby's. Having someone hand you an xbox controller while saying, "Let the old guy play." The way the skin on my elbows seems to constantly need lotion. (According to my wife) Someone actually had the nerve to suggest that I get my prostate checked. I'm not playing any games of red rover, red rover, nurse says bend over. At least not anytime soon. Every time I buckle a seatbelt I feel old. I used to kick back in the floorboard, sit on the arm rest up front, or sleep in the back window. All while the car was doing the speed limit of 55mph. What makes me feel young? Not much. So this is 31. Hmmmm... Nice view. The sunset behind me is brilliant and the sunrise before me is cresting the horizon. Looks like a nice day coming and going.

1 comment:

roadkills-r-us said...

I still don't care for Luby's. Doubt I ever will. When I can't hold up a motorcycle, I'll worry about getting old.