Friday, June 11, 2004

Ran into a teenager in WalMart the other day who was wearing an xl black t-shirt sporting the line, "God Hates Me" on the front in large white letters. After an unfruitful chat (he was in the process of getting his ear pierced for the 5th or 6th time and wasn't in the mood to talk) I wandered out of the store sure I'd see him again. He happens to live in my neighborhood. I got to wondering how comfortable we would be (as Christians) wearing a shirt that says, "God Loves Me". We don't have any problem telling people that God/Jesus loves them. I do find, however, that many believers struggle with the concept that God's love is directed at them in particular. I don't think it's a pride issue. I believe it's an issue of personal unworthiness or at lease the perception of it. Others can be worthy and it's a comfort to proclaim that but when it comes to our own it just has a hard time taking hold. Maybe that's why Jesus was so insistent that we stick together in the body of Christ. That we may 'encourage one another' since many people have such difficulty following the mandate to 'build yourself up' in the most holy faith. Do I say that we ought to go around proclaiming God's love for us in a public display of childlike confidence? Yeah. It would probably do the world some good to see a message other than, "I believe this for you but I can't believe it for me so here, you take God's grace because I'm unworthy of it." False humility is an open wound on the church that needs about 3 good stitches. Here's number one. Psalm 57 "I will praise you among the nations" Gal. 2 "For I am crucified with Christ, nevertheless I live, yet not I, but Christ lives in me..." Phil 2 "Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus..." I don't give the specific verse so you may be enticed to search the chapter for the passage and thereby also learn the value of context. I'm gonna give myself a little test here. God loves you. God loves me. I found the second phrase harder to type than the first. Even paused before the word 'me'. Looks like I need to meditate on this too.

No comments: