Saturday, August 09, 2003

Wonder

There's a few items in this world that share the title for the most beautiful things in the universe. A sunset at Pearl Harbor, a praying child, a wild horse at full throttle, the greasy golden bottom of a Pizza Hut pan pizza, and a pregnant woman. No, Traci isn't with child. This isn't an announcement. Two is the limit for us. Not that we didn't want more. We originally had in mind to have about 5. Then I went to Six Flags and realized that an odd number would leave one off the roller coaster. Couldn't have that. Some folks I know that have a van load of kiddos never intended to get there. Spontaneous generation I guess. Seems like things don't often happen the way we plan. I think that's God's way of keeping us from getting blinded by the illusion that we just might be in control. Have you ever seen a child birthed into the world? I didn't remember the hypnotic internal battle that labor is. I was in it with Traci. I wanted to fight it and make all the pain go away. Next to a deep papercut in the webbing of your fingers, helplessness is the worst feeling in the world. Medicine is administered and the battle rages on. The pain is finally defeated by joy. Sheer joy. The sight of the incarnation of love is all it takes. Everything is still hurting but joy takes pain and renders it ineffective. (give yourself about a 5 second pause) I've got a sermon working here and I hope it's clear enough to be seen without any further rambling. "Ahhh, Lord God, You're a wonder."

No comments: