Thursday, November 15, 2007

One of the things people in Christendom freak out about is the human response to the presence of God. It's as varied as the individual expressing it. The laughter thing hit the church and many people declared it not of God. But the Bible declares that in the presence of the Lord is fullness of joy, meaning that there's nothing in regards to joy that is left out. Laughter and joy are pretty close cousins. One is often the result of the other. Other manifestations seem downright scary to those of us who have been accustomed to a relationship with God that is more form than power, more principle than presence. We want everything to be decent and in order according to Corinthians, yet who are we to redefine what God considers to be order? Consider this.

The most beautiful vomit I've ever seen was after my then pregnant wife ate a whole bag of gummi bears by herself. It was a moment to cherish, preparing me for the event to come, the birth of my son. In that room, there was strange sounds, odd fluids, offensive facial contortions, and general chaos, at least from where I was sitting. Yet, those in the room to whom this was normal seemed unfazed and unoffended. See, my definition of decent and order stemming from ignorance, was violated by those with experience who considered everything that happened to be pretty well normal for a birth experience.

In the past year I have watched people answer the invitation of the Scriptures to experience and encounter the manifest presence of God that touches them from the inside out. What used to be offensive now brings me joy. What used to be disorderly now seems normal. Experience has renewed my mind to be able to expand the manner by which I can hear the voice of God. If you're open to the presence of God, I'd erase that list of acceptable manifestations and be ready for just about anything.

No comments: