Saturday, January 14, 2006

"And since you know you cannot see yourself,
so well as by reflection, I, your glass,
will modestly discover to yourself,
that of yourself which you yet know not of." William Shakespeare

Perception is an interesting thing. Physically speaking, I will never see my own face with my own eyes. I've seen my reflection in a mirror but that's a reversed image. I've seen myself on video and photograph but we all know that the camera adds about 35 lbs or so. Plainly put, I only think I know what I look like. What do others see when they see you? They certainly have an advantage physically for their eyes can see you in a way that your eyes cannot. So then we may be able to trust the perception of others and therefore if they are honest with us, they can describe what they see and our understanding of ourselves grows as a result. But in this day selfishness blinds our ability to do this effectively. When we look at another person and their eyes meet ours we usually judge their reaction and respond with, "What? Do I have something on my face?" So then we use their face as a mirror by which we judge whether or not we're accepted or rejected in their sight. Therein lies the self centered nature in us all. It's usually all about us and I'm no less guilty than you. Rare is the person who looks with the intent to discover the hidden treasure behind the windows of the soul to look past the stare of judgment, the shallow darkness of regret, or the face shadowed by shame, into the deep well of the spirit. To look and to see what we with our own eyes cannot see in ourselves. It seems as though God has made us to be less reliant on our own flawed perception of ourselves and instead to search for the gaze of one whose purity can see what we thought was lost forever. Perhaps Moses was asking too much when he asked God to look upon him for if no man can see God and live, what then would happen if fallen man invites the gaze of God to fall in his direction? Moses must have been thinking that he would rather die than live without grace in the eyes of God. So here's the simple conversation where Moses and God talk about the issue of perception and acceptance. Notice God's response and what He adds at the end. Wouldn't every person like to hear these words?

Exodus 33:16 For wherein shall it be known here that I and thy people have found grace in thy sight? Is it not in that Thou goest with us? So shall we be separated, I and thy people, from all the people that are upon the face of the earth.
17: And the LORD said unto Moses, I will do this thing also that thou hast spoken: for thou hast found grace in my sight, and I know thee by name.

No comments: