Saturday, November 12, 2005

Peter speaks of Paul's writings as "...in which are some things hard to be understood..." (2 Peter 3:16) I don't understand more than I understood 5 years ago. The more I know I don't understand, the less I realize I understand the things I previously thought I understood. If I now begin to understand a thing, will I realize that I, in fact, didn't understand what I now claim to understand? Even the things that were easily understood are beyond understanding to me in that I thought I clearly understood what I now believe I don't understand. In all this, I realize that I am less understanding all around. Though this currently makes sense to my mind, I must realize that one day I will look back on this writing and realize that I don't understand what in the world I was talking about. Fortunately, when I read the following, I don't feel so bad. Job 36:26 (NIV) How great is God, beyond our understanding!

No comments: