Monday, July 19, 2004

Consider Psalm 27. A moody piece of work, like the Psalmist said to his wife, "Hey dear. I'm writing a song here but I'm not getting anything. Could you do this?" She says, "Honey bunch, I'm having PMS." He says, "That's ok. It'll make it interesting." She says, "FINE, you lazy jerk. As if I don't have enough to do with ironing your robes and polishing your crown you sorry adulterous excuse for a king husband type guy." David spends the night on the couch and in the morning, voila, Psalm 27. Ok, this probably didn't happen. But for a guy, David is really riding the mood swing here. He begins with some beautiful praise and worship about how much confidence he has in God and about halfway through shifts to how much fear he has in himself. Verses 8 and 9 outline the journey of the believer and the trepidation that goes with it. Vs 8 "When you said, "Seek My face" my heart said unto You, "Your face I will seek". God draws us, we respond, the eternal quest begins. Vs 9 "Hide not your face far from me. Put not your servant away in anger." What are the two biggest fears that man has about having an encounter with God? None, if you're an overweight southern gospel singer waving a Bible in one hand and a fried chicken leg in the other. But if you're like the rest of us you might feel the same way the Psalmist did. Fear #1 - "Hide not your face far from me." Being ignored and rejected is a standard part of human to human relationships. Is it any wonder that we apply the same caution to a human/divine relationship. Though the promise of grace is plain as black ink on white paper within the imitation leather covers of your King James Version, we still get gun shy when it comes to approaching the One whom we claim as Lord. Don't fret. Even king David covered his bases in this area. Fear #2 - "Put not your servant away in anger." It's one thing for the Lord to pay attention to you. As if that wasn't enough, David wants to make sure that when God does pay attention that He's in a good mood. Knowing that the wrath of God is a reality, I don't want to be subjected to that either. Again, though I've read in the Scriptures that I'm not appointed to wrath, I've heard of friendly fire on the news and I want to trust that when God points a finger of judgement at evil, I don't want to be standing in the way by mistake. Proverbs 8:13 defines the fear (healthy) of the Lord. It says it's to hate evil. I guess if I'm doing this then I won't likely be in the wrong place at the wrong time in my relationship with God. With people though? That's another matter altogether. I guess it boils down to what God thinks of you and what man thinks of you and who you care about more.

1 comment:

Traci Vanderbush said...

You said, ".Proverbs 8:13 defines the fear (healthy) of the Lord. It says it's to hate evil. I guess if I'm doing this then I won't likely be in the wrong place at the wrong time in my relationship with God. With people though? That's another matter altogether. I guess it boils down to what God thinks of you and what man thinks of you and who you care about more."

Over the years, my hatred of evil was because I wanted to please the Lord...not because I wanted to be judgmental. I suppose I gave off the wrong vibes and came across as self-righteous. Sometimes I wish I was in the wrong place at the wrong time and I can't seem to get there. Hard to explain...what is keeping me?